Well, it's been a long time since Pres. Kimball gave the counsel to plant a garden and I've been glad that the prophets since him have not really mentioned it....but then I heard about square foot gardening! Who would have thought that 2 4x4 boxes of dirt could be so rewarding! Things are starting to grow. Two heads of lettuce need to be picked, radishes are ready...the rest is a long way off...but it so fun to see how the plants are bigger each day. Out of the "squares" I am growing red and yellow peppers, basil and 4 tomato plants. I know you who are about to move can't even think about such things this year, but there's always another year. Martha Stewart was talking today about making our own compost....buy a sterilite plastic bin, drill holes all over it, throw in a lot of moist newspaper strips, a cup of garden dirt, and 1000 red wiggler worms! Then toss in all our rotting lettuce, strawberries, lemon peels, etc. (no meat or fat) and voila, the worms make compost. Well, it sounds wierd to have pet worms, but these little gardens would thrive on fresh compost. I may give it a whirl. Do you think I am over the top?
No comments:
Post a Comment