March days have been filled with miscellaneous activities, some great, some not so great, but so far, everyday on the March calendar has been FILLED. A happy day was when Adam and Zach stayed overnight with us in readiness for a Jackson family baptism the following day... the girls in the family were tied up with dance competitions in Boise. It was so fun to play games with Zach, treat them to a yummy Belgian waffle breakfast and enjoy a little one on one time with Zach and Adam. Families usually come to our house in large numbers! Love these two "boys!"
Today was a "Jump" dance competition in Ogden, so without traveling the distance to Boise, Bill and I were able to watch these beautiful girls perform! Darling Kate danced a Jazz and ballet with that sparkly smile of hers, Hannah and Ellie both danced three dances with grace and skill. I think they are very talented and beautiful, and amazing dancers!!! (Proud Gramma!)
Other bits of happy news are:
I went to lunch with my life long friend, Sylvia Smith, who I haven't talked to or seen for perhaps 10 years. It was a lunch that was a long time coming and so nice to reconnect with Sylvia. On Monday I will do the same with my dear friend, Marsha Winget, who is another friend I miss and look forward to "lunching" with!
I've been doing double shift duty at the temple all month (Tuesday and Thursday) to earn some credit..not for celestial credits...but to store up "sub" credit as we will be gone several times in the next two months. I LOVE the temple...as I've said before.
And then there are the bits of good news from all my doctors appointments in the last couple of months....normal mammography, no dental issues, great blood pressure, normal dermotologist report BUT...
My colonoscopy revealed a polyp hooked onto my appendix which could not be fully removed. It is not cancerous (I'm grateful) but it is the kind that could turn cancerous...so, out comes my appendix on April 11th.
My "yearly" check up with my general physician was good...except, my cholesterol is climbing and the doctor prescribed a statin which I am not excited about taking. I've been told that there is a 30% increase in the chance of developing breast cancer and colon cancer, and cognitive decline when taking a statin. Well, that sounds wonderful! I think a lot of doctors prescribe things that may not be in our best interest long term but are a quick fix to symptoms. A little worrisome! I can't make myself take the first pill! And then there are my bones...my fragile, osteopor"atic" bones. I'm waiting for the results of my bone scan, but since I have been off of Fosamax for a year now, I don't expect my bones to have improved. Fosamax, which is widely given to people with bad bones, inhibits new bone growth and increases the density of the old bone...thus, bones may be more dense but are brittle as candy and apt to fracture just the same. So with all my effort at weight bearing exercise (up to 62 flights of stairs in 35 minutes...moving toward 75, and years of walking on an incline on the treadmill) it is probably to no avail and a waste of time. There is no cure for osteoporsis. Frustrating!
I sound like a whiner. I am SO grateful for all of the things that DO work right in my body. Our bodies are miraculous! There are hundreds of things that work together to keep us going and healthy. I guess at nearly 64 a few things are going to start misbehaving!
Last bit of bad news...ALL of our Koi fish were found belly up in our pond yesterday! We have no idea why they should all have died. I figure it is because the oxygen level dropped too low, or the pond froze over when we were out of town and were unaware. We always put a bubbler in the pond to keep a hole in the ice which is all the oxygen the fish have ever needed, but something when WRONG. So sad. The fish were my friends. Lesson...don't ever name your fish!
No comments:
Post a Comment