Thursday, September 30, 2010

Quilt Show in a Barn 2010!

These are some of my dearest friends in all the world! Not all were here on this quilting day, but these are most of the members of the "Gone to Pieces" quilt group. We had just finished our delicious "Best Lunch in Town" potluck luncheon in celebration of a successful "Quilt Show in a Barn" which we hold every other fall at the beautiful property of Nancy and Jeff Flamm. (Nancy is on the left in the blue.)
Over 900 people came this year (unfortunately, most of them came between 10-12 though our show was until 5!) And with entrance fees, boutique purchases, and "Opportunity Quilt" tickets, we earned nearly $9000 to donate to "The Road Home," a homeless family shelter in Salt Lake City.
The boutique and opportunity tickets were sold outside the barn this year as it was an absolutely gorgeous fall day!
Here is one picture of the quilt show which covered three floors with 150 of our groups quilts which we had made in the last two years.
The quilt behind Julie Hedman and me is the "Opportunity Quilt." Julie, Debbie Nelson, and I were in charge of the quilt this year. It's a "pineapple" block and was very stunning in the red and green.  In Utah it is against the law to sell raffle tickets (gambling, something for nothing concept) so if you get a piece of candy with your purchase of tickets it's legal. It would either be the least expensive quilt a person ever bought, or the most expensive piece of candy! A darling lady named Rachel Ashby won it! We're excited for her!

On the grass across from the barn entrance were three minitature horses and their new babies!

And Daisy, the goat, wandered around at will nibbling on everything from the fall decorations to plastic bags...it all tasted good to her. She was very popular!
Well, the following pictures are of the quilts that I put in the show, minus one that I forgot to take a picture of. This small quilt, "Sadie's Flower Garden," won second place in the small category. It was hand pieced, hand appliqued and hand quilted....kind of a swan song as it was majorly labor intensive! There is a saga that goes with this quilt that could be a little long to record here. The short version would be to say that after it was ALL DONE I took out the basting thread and sprayed the quilting quidelines off with water. When that was accomplished and my quilt had come to life, I pulled it back onto the ironing board and the red inside border had BLED RED into the applique border!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was in a panic! I would equate this disaster to ...suppose Bill had worked every day for a LONG time restoring a Corvette and then the first time that he turned on the motor to actually drive it, it caught on fire! That's how I felt! Racing to the end of the story, I found a product in the quilt stores called Syntrapol that took out only the red that had bled! A miracle! I would make a commecial for that product if I was asked!!!!


                   This quilt is "Be Thankful."                                              "Square Dance" was given to Ryan and Julie

 .
"Winter Wonderland" was given to Ryan and Julie last Christmas.                          "Sophie's Smoothie"  



                        "Hannah's Hearts"                                                  "Merry and Bright" given to Mindy last Christmas


We feel that our show was a big success. It's a lot of work to put on, but we love sharing our quilts with others and the Road Home is always in need of nice donations...so all are happy!















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your quilts are so amazing! You are so talented!