Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Carl Bloch Exhibit


Bill I and just returned from Provo where we visited the magnificent exhibit of Carl Bloch paintings. We have seen these glorious paintings in church magazines for years, and though I've always loved his work, seeing them in person is quite a different experience. Tears came to my eyes as I came upon each of these huge "altar" piece paintings that have graced the altars in Denmark churches for well over 100 years. How BYU was able to borrow or rent these paintings, I have no idea. They are national treasures and should be world wide treasures! They are utterly amazing!
These were three of my favorites though it is difficult to choose. The above picture is of Christ in Gethsemane, dressed in red, symbolizing his suffering and bleeding from every pore. His hands symbolize his complete submission to his Father's will. The rock on which he sits is symbolic of Christ being the rock of our salvation and our sure foundation. The angel is precious though we believe the supporting angel was Michael, the archangel, who certainly looked very different than the one depicted, but this painting completely captivated me. It was a spiritual experience to think on what this scene depicts for each of us.

Christ affectionately and protectively touches this precious child as He beckons the observer to be "as a little child." The palm frond that meant victory in battle came to mean "victory over death" and was waved by the crowds when Christ entered Jerusalem for the last time.

And this painting depicts the emotional scene as Jarias' daughter lay dead and her mother sits with her having kept vigil all night long. The painting is unusual as it depicts a scene before the miracle took place. Christ arrives at dawn and returns life to the precious girl. The light of dawn is symbolic of Christ being the light of the world. It is so beautiful and causes one to think on the joy that was soon to follow this night of such sadness.
There were many more paintings, but most of the ones that we are most familiar with are in the Fredericksborg Castle in Denmark...24 paintings that depict the life of Christ. I now have another destination to put on my "bucket list." The castle is just across the water from Sweden which is another place I would love to visit as we Swensons have Swedish ancestry!
It was a beautiful experience to visit this exhibition and I highly recommend it to one and all. He was an inspired, exceptionally talent painter. Carl Bloch...I thank you!

No comments: