With no family here to "ooo" and "ahhh" and to gaze in wonder at our traditional decorations, a person could make a pretty good argument that I am nuts for decking the halls to this degree! I can't seem to stop. Though this summer Bill and I did give away three large trees which felt very good! Each year Bill and struggled to carry the trees up the stairs, always scratching the woodwork and walls in the process. And then, of course, there was the issue of plugging in the lights, strands that wouldn't work, finding the ends in the first place....it was a stressful project. We haven't missed those trees for a minute. But I have missed my nativity ornaments that decked the tree in the living room and our old-fashioned ornaments collected over the years. This year the idea came to me to get a narrow tree that could be transported with ease and showcase the ornaments I love.
In previewing this entry before posting, I see that I forgot to attach a picture of the 4' tree in my kitchen bay window where for the first time I hung all my favorite nativity ornaments. (I don't know how to insert a picture and move it, so use your imagination!) I'm loving the small trees and having my favorite ornaments displayed again!
This Jim Shore Santa was given to me by all my kids several years ago. He gets moved from year to year. This is the first year he's been parked in the dining room.
The most time consuming displays are the villages. Why I put up three I don't know, but I really love each one. This one has darling little animals with each character. Sadie would love it! It is above my bathroom sink.
The Alpine Village gives me warm fuzzies as well and must be almost 30 years old. It reminds me of the Alpine Village our mother's friend, Ruth Smith, displayed in her living room. Her darling pipe cleaner people, ski slopes and sparkly little houses were magical to me. I've always liked miniature things.
And this nostalgic "retro" village is Bill's favorite and, according to him, "will be the one thing we will always put up." Thankfully, he is willing to plug in all the many cords that come out at the back of this village...a huge help! Each piece is meaningful to me. From left to right, a Christmas tree lot reminds me of my childhood Noble Fir tree and of all the years of tree shopping with our own kids in the cold winter air...great memories. Next is a church which reminds me of the church bells I would hear from our home on Sunday mornings in Portland. The diner and movie theater were typical of the 50's. Then comes a Quilt Store....that one not so "retro." The three homes...one I loved because of it's style and big front porch, the next is definitely a "Clark Griswald" home ( from" Christmas Vacation"..a family favorite...the edited version!) and lastly, the little home on the right reminds me of the homes in Portland, particularly on Peacock Lane which were so beautifully lit up at Christmas time.
I used to decorate three mantles and the basement, down to two and no basement....that's some progress. I also used to display 32 nativity sets...this year only 13!
This one was purchased in Egypt! I found it a little surprising to even find one there.
And this one, purchased in France, is one of my favorites though from the picture you can't see how little it is. The chickens are about the size of my pinkie from last knuckle to tip...tiny and cute, Mary is an inch and a half tall. A French Santos set always includes village people visiting the holy family.
Adam's, Mindy's, Ryan's and Michael's stockings are still displayed on the stairs, just as mine were growing up.
These are the decoration highlights, though certainly not all. The family room mantle has alway been a favorite, but today when I turned on the lights...only half the lights worked!!! So the left side looks sparkly and bright, and the right side is dull as lead. To fix the problem I will have to disassemble the entire mantle. Not up for that yet!
And lastly, and finally, here is Bill putting the lights up outside. Adam and Steph gave him this hat years ago and we had a good laugh...reminded us of Uncle Eddie in Christmas Vacation, but actually, it comes in very handy on icy cold days like today. So we are set...Bill and me...to enjoy our labors and the lights and magic of the season.
1 comment:
yep! You get my approval!!! way to go on decorating!!! it all looks so beautiful!!
Post a Comment