Friday, March 09, 2012

Mason Billy Shipp turns 8!

Mason is the first of our "fabulous four" to be baptized! It was a perfect day in every way! I was asked to give a short talk on baptism and was honored to do so. I used the Primary song "When I Am Baptized" ("I like to look for rainbows....) as the theme and thought it worked perfectly as the special musical number following my talk was that song!
Michael and Mason in the baptismal font was a touching sight. It was the first time Michael had performed a baptism since his mission and of course, baptizing his son was especially meaningful to him. For me it was a time capsule as I pictured Bill in the font with our youngest son, Michael. It was a beautiful and touching baptism.
Mason looked so handsome and proud in his new gray suit that he picked out himself. He was well prepared for his baptism and had received a shiny black set of scriptures and marking pens from his parents. We gave him the small black hymnal to match as we know that he LOVES to sing and can be heard down the halls of the church during singing time in Primary!
After Michael's beautiful confirmation blessing, the Bishop asked if anyone would like to bear their testimony. Without any prompting from his parents, Mason jumped to his feet and went up to the Primary room podium and bore a sweet testimony...bringing tears to his parents eyes. Adam and Steph and Grampa also bore very tender testimonies that touched me deeply.
Then we went to Mason's home for a yummy meal of Costa Vida salads and a delicious variety of desserts from this amazing table....( Jamies forte!) It was a perfect morning.
In the afternoon Bill and I went with Adam to watch Kate and Ellie perform in their dance competitions, and I am not bragging but speaking truth.....they were amazing! Such stage presence and talent! I cheered my head off!
And later that night, Adam and Mike came over to Mindy's where we were staying and watched the BYU disastrous B-Ball game, though we still have fun together no matter what. Michael shared with us that Jamie had sat with Mason at his bedside as he recorded in his journal his feelings about his baptism day. Perfect!
The next morning was testimony meeting. We slid in the bench next to Mason and found him looking up the hymns for the meeting in his new hymnbook we had given him. And as the sustainings and releasings were announced, I reminded him that now, as a member of the church, he should raise his right hand with his sustaining "vote." He proudly did so and I thought is was so cute! And then during the testimonies, Bill and I were wiping away tears (and Bill was into the "ugly face cry") as Steph, Adam and Michael bore amazing testimonies. Steph (newly released as Primary Pres.) and Adam (the newly called YM Pres), and Michael, the proud father, all touched me deeply. It's amazing to see your children learn first hand and in depth about the power and blessing of the atonement.
We headed home to Utah after sacrament meeting, but felt warmed on our way by the tender feelings of this very special weekend.

No comments: