I wanted to call this post "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year," but somehow, that didn't seem fair to Christmas. But really, it is my favorite season and time of the year. Today after church Bill and I drove up and over the Alpine Loop. A weekend day is never the best choice for this drive as it is the only day that most people can take this scenic drive. But often times when we pass up an opportunity, another day never opens up. So off we went in Bill's 1932 Ford Roadster which turned out to be NOT THE BEST CHOICE!
There was so much traffic that we were forced to crawl up the canyon which is NOT GOOD for an engine of this kind. The temperature quickly rose to dangerous levels making it nearly impossible to enjoy the view for fear and anxiety that the engine would overheat and burn up! It smelled and sounded like it was at it's limits! We couldn't turn around, and we couldn't pull over for picture taking or pause to bask in the beauty of the alpine canyon as Bill knew the car would not start again with the gauges registering well over the boiling point! So I snapped pictures as we went (keeping one eye on the temperature gauge!) and was surprised to find many clear and beautiful pics on my camera when we got home. We stopped in Highland on the way home to visit Marianne's grave and sent her our love. We still miss her so much.
The yard at home is barely showing the signs of fall, but the flowers sure love the cooler temperatures. Soon we will turn off the waterfall, cease feeding the fish and let them have a long winter's nap until next spring.
In our backyard is also an overactive cherry tomato plant that has grown up to the top of this tree...maybe twelve feet. I looked at the tree from across the yard and thought, "What is THAT?" thinking it must be a weed of some kind. But there were little green tomatoes clear up the vine that will eventually make the tree look like a bedecked Christmas tree with it's little red ornaments!
Okay, and now for the best news of the post. It was time once again for my quilt group's "Quilt Show in a Barn" which we put on for charity every two years. Most of my fellow quilters have family in town to add support (and votes for their "favorite quilt!") but of course, our family is all miles away. Friday we put in a long day setting up the quilt stands and displaying 158 quilts. I was ready for bed at 8:00 but forced myself to stay up until bedtime. I was concentrating (apparently very hard) on a magazine article when suddenly, I heard little giggles exactly behind me. I turned around and their were Mindy, Hannah, Sadie and Kate!!!!! Mindy had left Boise for Sandy right after school and pulled off another one of her stupendous and exceptional surprises!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The next morning I left before anyone arose and went off to the Barn Show at the Flamm's fabulous estate. I was in charge of the transportation this year...meaning, arranging for the shuttle vans and drivers, signs and schedules, etc. (Some year I would LOVE to not be in charge of ANYTHING!) But this year was extra nice...and not just because it was a beautiful, warm fall day, but because four of my precious girls came to the show! (Then off they went to Lagoon!)
Here are a couple of my quilts that I displayed which were made in the last 2 years since our last show.. 8 total...though I thought of 5 others I had made in that time period that could have been hung, but I did not want to dominate the show!
Above is "Bugs and Hisses" which I completed in a marathon week in St. George, well, all except the binding.
Below is "Ginger Grove" which took me.....too much time to calculate! Hand quilted and embellished with beads and embroidery and wool.
I will have to back track with the news of our Sisters'-Week-A - Way" in St. George when I get a couple of pictures off of their cameras. Unfortunately, we did not snap many, but we certainly had a great time. More on that later.
1 comment:
fun! fun! fun! well worth the drive!!!!! xo
Post a Comment