Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Western Idaho Fair





We took the kids to the big fair yesterday – a good “try out” for Disneyland this fall. According to David, the twins are uninvited (for the second time). I think it was the sheer chaos at dinnertime. Nevertheless, the kids all loved the animals and the rides. I love having these kinds of outings where you know your children will remember bits and pieces for the rest of their lives. Making memories!

Yesterday Sadie and I also met her first grade teacher, Mrs. France. We found her seat, organized her supplies in her desk, and hung out in the classroom. I feel really good about her teacher, whom David remembers being at Joplin Elementary when HE was there! She is experienced, loving, and gentle. The only difficulty will be getting Sadie to and from school. We technically live in the walking-boundaries, however we live right on the boundary so we don’t get a bus but it’s kind of far to walk (for sure for a 1st grader, especially alone- never!) So, we rode our bikes to the school to try it out. Going was great- coming home…..Sadie’s fuel tank ran out of gas two-thirds home. Utter exhaustion! So, after a good effort, I will have the joy of loading the 4 kids up twice a day to take/pick up Sadie. Maybe when the weather gets good again in the spring, and Sadie is a bit older, we will try it out again.

2 comments:

Trudy said...

Fairs are the greatest. My very first memory was getting lost at the County Fair in Portland. I had just turned 3 the month before, yet I remember every detail down to the flavor of the snowcone I was eating when I discovered "my mother had left me" to the joy I felt when the two huge policemen walked me to the mothers' lost and found. What joy to wrap my arms around my mother! Anyway, fairs are great. I think the Salt Lake Fair got a little ronchy with all the rif-raf, but then I haven't been to it for years. Maybe we'll try it next month! Great pics and memories.

Julie said...

Ryan and I debate every year whether or not we should attend the Kentucky State Fair. This one would have been our last chance, and Ryan pretty much opted not. I think we would have fit in this year however because we have lived here long enough to be at least a little redneck (we especially realized it when the week before I had Lily, we were out in the back and the whole entire family were getting haircuts from me - barefoot and pregnant). It looks like you had a lot of fun. I am now having regrets of not going. Oh well, thank heavens there are more fairs in our future! - Julie